Monday, January 16, 2012

...to Offer a Corollary to '...the Power of Name Calling'

You may want to address someone by name; etiquette may call for you to address someone by name; and you may sense that someone could use the endorphin rush that results from hearing his name; but you don't know the name and the moment does not allow for you to ask.  I experience just such an occasion at the beginning of every new semester.  I walk into class determined to establish rapport and community in my small classroom, but I don't know any of these twenty four students' names.  The Italian Mama is old enough to address individuals as "Sir"  or "Ma'am" and not feel like a newly discharged Marine.  In fact, I know that the community-building effect on both the speaker and each sir and ma'am at least equals the relationship formed when addressing someone by their name. Modelling this act of courtesy to young college students gives them an opportunity to feel the respect you hope they will pay forward to others, especially their elders. 

The Italian Mama is old enough to know that "Sir" and "Ma'am" work at least as well as names.



1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I like this. I LOVE this. Modeling acts of courtesy needs to become part of my teaching philosophy!! Great parenting tip, too!

    ReplyDelete